Saturday, July 2, 2016

Chapter 3



Mumbai,

ETF office,

“Good Morning.” Arjun wished Sameer as he entered his cabin.

“Good Morning!” Sameer replied with a little surprise, “What’s up early in the morning? Won a battle or something?” Sameer questioned as he saw Arjun giving a winning look.

“Battle? What else can a crown prince think of?” Arjun mocked, “But I have defeated the unconquerable queen in her own game, and that is pleasant.”

“Sounds really interesting, what happened?” Sameer said with a child-like enthusiasm. Before Arjun could begin, Aisha came in with a new case, “Let’s go.”

In SUV,

“Rawte, what do you find so interesting in my face that you can’t stop looking at it and smile like idiots?” Sameer asked annoyed with Arjun’s mysterious gaze.

“Have you ever seen how a small child reacts when his favourite candy is snatched away before eating? You are giving those same expressions and I couldn’t help myself.” Arjun revealed.

“Don’t test my patience now. By the way I heard that you were thrown off your lodge! How do you justify that?” Sameer didn’t let it go.

“Pulled out, and not thrown off.” Arjun corrected, “She wants me back in the mansion.”

“And you denied it.” Sameer stated.

“No, I’ve just turned the tables and everything is up to her now.” Arjun said with that winning expression back on his face.

“How?” Sameer was getting curious.

“By placing a little condition, which as far as I know will not be accepted and hence I will be back where I was.”

“Stop making riddles and say it clearly.”

Arjun’s cell rang, the screen showed ‘Private Number’; he received the call and silently heard the other side.

“Bhaiya, you can bring Rocky along with you.” Neha said plainly.

“What?” Arjun almost shouted out of shock.

“There’s nothing to shout about.” Neha replied unhappily.

“Hold on.” Arjun said to her, and then put the call on hold, “Rathod, pinch me.”

“What?”

“Pinch me.” Sameer punched Arjun lightly, “Oww, I asked you to pinch me and not punch me!”

“This was a better option, guaranteed results.” Sameer replied mockingly.

Arjun put the call on loud-speaker mode, “Say that again.”

Neha inhaled sharply, “You can keep Rocky along with you.” She said in a dangerously low voice.

“You sure of it?” Arjun asked her again.

“Why...” She almost yelled but then calmed down the very next moment, “You want it written on the stamp papers?”

“Call the lawyer.” Arjun said as he enjoyed annoying her. They heard a message tone over the call, ‘Neha, you have a message!’

“Read.” Neha commanded. A robotic voice read the message, “Your flight XXXXX on 10Mar2015 is expected to leave BOM at 10:00 hrs, reach DEL at 12:00 hrs. To know your flight status logon to...” “Stop.” The voice stopped.

“You are going to Delhi, why?” Arjun asked.

“I called to tell you that, I will be back by tomorrow evening.” Neha replied.

“But why are you going?” He asked again.

“To attend the National Security Conference, meet Mr President, Mr Prime Minister, Defence Minister, R.A.W. Chief and other officers, National Security Advisory Committee, et cetera, et cetera...” She rambled.

“Now, tell the truth.” Arjun said rolling his eyes.

“I’m going to meet my friends.” Neha said, “Getting late, will talk to you later.” She disconnected the call.

Arjun and Sameer exchanged glances, giving an impossible look.

“By the way, what is the story of her hand? What happened to her?” Sameer asked what he was eager to know since long.

“You won’t believe.” Arjun said, “She told me that she slipped in the washroom.”

“What? Really? No, I don’t think that is true.” Sameer said, “The reason doesn’t suit her.”

“Yeah, but that’s what she told me, she was a bit sleepy and she had dropped soap so it was all soapy and caused the floor to be slippery and so she slipped, those were her exact words. And I half believe them.” Arjun stated in ‘as a matter of fact’ manner.

“Well, she has yet again proved that she is unconquerable,” Sameer mimicked her, “bring Rocky with you!”

“For the first time I feel as if I can’t understand her, three years, can someone change so much?” Arjun said it more to himself.

~*flashback*~

Four years ago,

Arjun’s apartment,

Neha rang the doorbell and the door was immediately opened by Roshni, “Good evening Bhabhi!” Neha said chirpily, “Look who’s with me!” She said showing a small basket which had a little white kitten.

“This is really cute!” Roshni caressed it gently, “Come in.”

“Before that, where’s Rocky?” Neha asked. Rocky was Arjun’s six month old Rottweiler.

“Don’t worry, he’s gone for a long walk with Arjun. Both of them just left a few minutes ago. And if Rocky was home, he would be the one to open the door right?”

“Yeah! Why didn’t you go along with them?” Neha walked inside.

“I went last time, but it’s too tiring so didn’t go this time. Neha, this is that same kitten that you saved two days ago right?” Roshni asked as she picked the kitten to play with it.

“Yeah, now suggest a cute name for this cutie pie! This is going to be my brand new pet!” Neha said and looked at the clock.

“Name? I need to think of it.”

“You think and play and take care of her, I’ll be back from my dance class.”

“Okay.” Neha took her leave.

Arjun came back after an hour, “Roshni, quickly make food for Rocky, he’s too hungry!” Arjun went into kitchen where Roshni was already preparing his food.

“Where’s Rocky?” Roshni asked as she turned off gas.

“So much of milk? Why?” Arjun asked as he saw Roshni pouring little milk into a saucer.

“For Neha’s... ” They hear a cry of a kitten, and rushed towards the balcony from where the noise came.

“There’s a cat in the house!?” Arjun was shocked as he looked in the balcony and found a kitten killed by Rocky, and he was eating it hastily. Blood was spilled across the wall and on the floor. “Rocky!” He yelled, to which Rocky looked up for a moment and then continued eating.

“Arjun, what happened?” Roshni asked as Arjun blocked her view.

“Where did that kitten come from?” Arjun asked as he closed the door.

“It is Neha’s kitten, why? What happened?”

Arjun swore under his breath, “Rocky killed it.” His voice was full of guilt.

Roshni kept looking at him, unable to believe. “What will I answer Neha?” She asked after a few minutes of silence.

“I will take care of it, but if she says anything to you then please don’t mind it and...”

“You don’t need to tell me that, I understand it Arjun. But what will we answer her?”

“I will tell her whatever happened, I know she would be very upset.”

“It’s my mistake, I should not have left her alone. I was so stupid that I kept her in the balcony, where we usually keep Rocky and his food! How could I be so irresponsible?” Roshni said as tears welled up her eyes.

“Shh... Roshni, please don’t cry. It was an accident, they are animals after all. Cats’ have always been dogs’ favourite food and Rocky was very hungry.”

“But still...” She sobbed while Arjun tried consoling her.

Neha came after completing her dance classes, “Halloo! I’m back! And guess what? I’ve got a couple of sweet names for my cattie! My friends suggested some very nice names, like Snowball, Snowbell, Snowfur, but they’re quite long and I prefer short names so I decided to settle for Snowy, what say?” Neha stopped chattering and sat on the couch and looked at Arjun and Roshni for an answer while they both looked at each other and back at her and silence prevailed for some time.

“Why are you both looking like this?” Neha questioned slowly looking at their expressions, “What’s wrong? Bhaiya? Bhabhi? Please speak up something!” She demanded, “Where’s my cattie?” She heard Rocky barking and banging the balcony’s door which was latched. “What has happened? Where is my kitten? Speak up something damn it!” She yelled.

Arjun sat beside her and held her hand, “Doll, I’m sorry.” Arjun said quickly, “Rocky... killed your kitten.”

“What?!” She tried to make sure that she heard it clearly.

“Rocky killed your kitten.” Arjun said it again pausing at every word. Neha withdrew her hand from his hold, and glanced alternately at him and Roshni.

“NO! You’re lying, aren’t you?” Neha said.

“Neha!” Roshni tried.

“I trusted you that you would take proper care of my cattie! How could you be so irresponsible? How did that wild beast Rocky even touch my cattie? What the hell were you two doing? Couldn’t you stop him from hurting her? Answer me!”

“Neha, I’m sorry. I...” Roshni said but was cut short by Neha. 

“Don’t want to hear any excuses Bhabhi. You can’t get me my cattie back, can you? I was a fool that I brought her here! Did I risk my life to save her the other day for this? To get it killed by another beast? Why do you keep a dog when you can’t control it?”

Arjun tried to console her, “Neha, I know you’re upset but...”

“Upset? Please! You better don’t talk to me! Can’t you keep your dog tied up and command him? If you can’t, then why to own him? I’m leaving right now and will not come back here again.” She said and got up, tears making their way down her eyes.

“Neha, listen...” Both of them made vain efforts to stop her.

She didn’t come for a week, and after lots of apologies and sorry’ she placed a condition, “Till Rocky is in that house, I won’t come there. Rest is up to you.” And Arjun sent Rocky to his friend’s place.

~*flashback*~


Late Evening,

The case was solved and Arjun, Sameer and Aisha were returning after completing the formalities.

“Arjun, when are you bringing Rocky?” Sameer asked.

Arjun replied instantly, “I can do that right now, if you’ve got half an hour’s spare time.”

Sameer asked, “Aisha, do you mind wasting half an hour?”

Aisha replied, “No, sir. I don’t mind.”

Sameer said, “Fine then, and let’s go, but where?”

Arjun, “Coincidentally, my friend’s house falls on this road itself, so just go straight.”

“At least call and inform him that you are coming.”

“I’ll tell her’.” Arjun gave a mysterious look.

“Who?” Sameer raised his brows.

“Just a moment.” Arjun said and picked up his cell and dialled a number. “Akshyaa??!! Is he home?” He said as the call was answered.

“Who is this?” A lady asked from other end.

Arjun, “Vahini! Didn’t recognise me?”

“Why would I ask that question in the first place if I recognised you? Now stop wasting my time and tell who are you or I’m disconnecting the call, I’ve got a lot of work to do.”

“Ohh Vahini, Arjun here.”

“Arjun bhau ji, it’s you, why didn’t you tell before? Now say why did you call?”

“Where is Akshat?”

“Just came home, why?”

“I thought I would drop in for some time.”

“Dinner?”

“No thanks, I’m in a little hurry, just don’t inform him, I’d surprise him.”

“Okay.” She disconnected the call.

“It’s actually good to go to our friend’s house without informing.”

After a short drive they reached Akshat’s place. As soon as they opened the main gate and walked in, they were greeted by a fully grown up, big, fat Rottweiler, who came running towards Arjun and wagged his tail happily.

Arjun hugged him, “Hey Rocky, my boy! Oh I missed you so much!” Rocky licked Arjun’s face, “Stop.” “Ouuu” Rocky made a sound which meant he was unhappy. Arjun caressed his head, “Rocky, you’ve become too fat! Don’t go for workout? Fine, from tomorrow, we both will work out together, okay?” Rocky nodded his head happily.

A strong built man walked out of the house, “Who are you? How dare you enter my house?”

“Akshyaa!” Arjun walked to him and hugged him.

“Arrjyaa!” Akshat hugged him and slapped his back tightly. For few minutes Akshat continued abusing Arjun in a language which no one other than Arjun understood. He stopped when he heard his wife’s voice, “Better let the guests in and both of you continue it later on.”

Arjun, “I’ll introduce you to...”

Akshat cut him short, “No need, I know, ACP Rathod, ETF Chief! We’ve already met.”

Sameer had been wondering from a while and he suddenly remembered, “Chief of Dog Squad, right?”

“Yes! Exactly.” Akshat shook hands with Sameer. “That lady is your wife, right?” Sameer looked at Aisha and she was already looking at him, they shared an eye-lock.

Arjun interrupted, “No, you’re wrong. She’s Inspector Aisha, ETF’s third in command.”

Akshat apologised, “Oh, sorry! Well, come in.”

Arjun asked, “What have you done to my Rocky? You’ve made him a fat bull! What’s his weight?”

“Somewhere around 60 kilos, why?”

“Sixty?! I’ll make him work out hard and bring his weight to 56 k! Okay Rocky?” Rocky wagged his tail happily nodded his head.

Akshat said in a surprised tone, “What? You mean you are here to take Rocky with you?”

Arjun stated, “Yeah! That’s why I’m here.”

“And what about Neha?”

“She has asked me to bring him.”

“Wow!” Akshat said mockingly, “Seriously, you’re great Juno! Hats off to you! Four years ago she said I don’t want this dog in the house, you literally threw him away and now she says bring him back, so you’ve come to take him along. What the hell does she think of herself?”

Arjun glared hard at him, “Not another word, or I’ll forget that you are my friend.”

“Relax buddy! All I mean to say is there is no need to fulfil her irrational demands.”

“Leave that to me, I know what I should do. I’m taking Rocky with me.” Arjun said coldly.

“Juno! You can’t leave without a dinner! You’ve come after so many months, and your Vahini will feel bad if you waste the food she has prepared!”

“Arjun Kaka!” A four-year-old boy came jumping towards them. Arjun picked him in his arms and ruffled his hair. “Hey Rohan! How are you?”

“I’m fine! You brought that chocolate?” The little boy, Rohan asked with a toothy grin.

Arjun told him, “If I give you chocolate your Aai will scold me!”

“I won’t tell her! You also don’t tell, she won’t know and then we won’t get scolding!” Rohan told his plan.

“Very smart!” Arjun smiled at him.

“I’m not a phone!” Rohan replied instantly.

Arjun asked, “Akshat, what does he eat?”

Akshat, “Anything and everything!”

“I’m hungry, come for the dinner!” Rohan said with a cute face.

“I’ll come afterwards, now you go in!” Arjun told him.

“No! I will not eat if you don’t feed me!” Rohan demanded.

Arjun, “Rohan, be a good boy, and go have your food.”

“No no no!” Rohan said nodding his head. Arjun looked at Akshat.

Akshat smiled, “You and your son, do whatever you like.”

“Come on quick, I’m hungry!” Rohan said.

Arjun had no option but to fulfil Rohan’s demand.

Akshat asked as they sat at the dining table, “How are your kids?”

Arjun gave a proud look, “Very well behaved and disciplined.”

Akshat burst out laughing, “Their father never knew the d’ of discipline, and you say...haha... I know they would be super notorious and mischievous lot!”

Arjun thought for a moment, “But no one has ever complained to me about them, so you know...”

Akshat stopped laughing, “No complaints doesn’t mean that, does it? Did our teachers ever complain about our mischiefs to our parents? No. Does that mean we weren’t mischievous? No! We were the most notorious gang in our school! Remember?”

Arjun said, “How can I forget that?”

After the dinner,

Akshat brought a month old Rottweiler puppy, “Take this for Neha! A gift from me.”

Arjun smiled, “This is cute but...”

Akshat cut him short, “No buts and ifs, take this little bitch and give it to the bigger one!” He winked.

Arjun hit him, “Akshyaa! Better keep a watch on your words!”

Akshat offered other puppies to Aisha and Sameer but they didn’t want to have them. “Anytime you need a dog, feel free to call me, there are 7 more puppies.” After a while they took leave.

~

Morning,

New Delhi,

RAW Headquarters,

Neha went to the reception, “Neha Rawte. I have an appointment with Colonel Yashwant Singh, the Undercover Operations Head.”

The receptionist entered the details in her computer, “The third cabin on right, second floor.”

Neha thanked her and went towards the stairs. She climbed up two floors and reached his cabin, entered after a knock.

Yashwant Singh, a man in his fifties, but looked younger and stronger than men of his age, had jet black hair, rimmed spectacles, looked keenly at the girl in front of him, “Welcome to RAW. Miss Rawte.” He got up to shake hands with her. She returned a short firm handshake and then both took their seats. “You have an impressive track record and we are proud to have girls like you who risk their lives for the sake of nation.”

“When the task was assigned to me and I was doing it, what was ETF doing there?” Neha questioned him directly.

“That was a communication gap, we are sorry for it.” Yashwant said calmly.

Neha looked at him, unconvinced with his answer, “Communication gap? Really? Then why was there an assassin to kill the ETF team?”

“May be they got the same tip off.” Yashwant didn’t give up.

“Wonderful! Now when am I getting the details?” Neha asked after calming herself.

Yashwant smiled at her, “Coming to the point, you have been working on the case of Alexander, a.k.a. Sikander, the man who a few have heard about and none have seen. We don’t even know if he exists or not? You may never even find him or he might be right beside you and you don’t know it. So how will you get him?”

Neha smiled, “I have met him personally.” She paused, “Also, I have got some solid links about his work and his whereabouts. All I need is proof that they are true.”

Yashwant looked at her doubtfully, “You know what you are saying? You have met him? How? When? Where?”

Neha looked into his eyes for a moment, “Sorry, But I can’t tell you that. All I need to know is what details do you have about him? And whether you want him alive or dead?” She asked coldly.

“You don’t have the authority to get those details.” Yashwant told her clearly, “This case will be given to ETF, so if you want to get official assistance then join ETF.”

“ETF? Do I really need to do that?” She asked unsurely.

“Yes. That’s the only option for you. Once you join ETF, you will get all the official data about Sikander but only after three months of proper and dedicated service. In these three months you will be under constant supervision of our officers.”

“Why waste so much of time behind me?”

“So that we know that you are the right person whom we can trust with such an important case.”

“When should I join ETF?”

“Next month.”

“Twenty days wait? What shall I do till then?”

“Sit and relax.”

“No, I don’t have so much of time.”

“Okay, join from Monday.”

“Today is Saturday, that’s fine, I’ll be on my job from Monday.” She stated. Yashwant looked at her admiringly. “What do you find so interesting on my face, sir’?”

“Your brother was very brave and talented officer, Miss Rawte. We are sorry for your loss.” Yashwant said in a voice full of respect.

“Was? My brother is alive, sir’.” She flared.

For a moment Yashwant was shocked but he recovered quickly, “Aryan Rawte, he died in a car accident some five years ago, right?”

She said in a confident voice, “The others may say so, but I know that he is alive.”

Yashwant looked at her suspiciously, “Why do you think he is alive?”

Neha smiled, “I don’t think, I know he is alive. It’s just that he must be caught up with some important work which has kept him away for so many years but I’m sure that he will return, quite soon.”

“Do you believe in fairy tales?”

“Why?”

“Because dead people coming back to life, that happens only in fairy tales and not in real life.”

“My brother doesn’t break his promise, especially if it has been made to me. I know he will return. Now I better take your leave.” She said and turned to leave. Yashwant looked at her retreating figure and thought, ‘May your belief come true, I don’t want to lose an officer like Aryan. Best wishes to both of you.’

~

Mumbai’s dark alleys where the underworld operates.

In one small factory some people were working with gunpowder and other explosives. A teenage boy comes in and goes to the farthest desk where the boss sat designing a bomb. “Aahil bhai, big boss has called you.” The teenager informed him. He slowly looked up and nodded, the boy stood there.

“Go, I’ll come.” Aahil told the boy but he stood there looking at him. Aahil breathe sharply and closed the book and kept the pencil, picked his gun and stood up, “Come.”

The boy led him through many passages and finally reached an old building. Aahil went inside, gave his gun to the doorkeeper and went down the basement. He crossed three other barriers and finally reached the cabin. 

The big boss was sitting on his chair, smoking a cigar, “Aahil, my boy, welcome. I know that you are an expert bomb-maker. I need blasts on Holi this time. Mumbai’s half of the population is the target.” He signalled his assistant who gave Aahil a suitcase, “500 K.”

“500 K to injure and kill 11 million people? No, I need more money.” Aahil said bluntly.

The big boss said, “I really like this attitude. Okay, I’ll give you more money but after the blasts. Take this advance.”

Aahil agreed and picked the suitcase, “Okay.” He left without giving another glance at the big boss.

~*~          




No comments:

Post a Comment